Published Date:

Vic Wild: "If you set a goal and work hard everyday, you will definitely succeed!"

Вик Вайлд

Vic Wild is a double Olympic champion in 2014, a bronze medalist at the 2022 Olympic Games, the only Russian snowboarder who won three Olympic medals. The American, who is a silver medalist at the US Championship, the winner of World Cup stages, acquired Russian citizenship to live and work in Russia, Vic Wild studies the additional educational program "Russian as a Foreign Language. Basic Course" at Saint Petersburg State University. Viс gives an interview in Russian and shares the secrets of success in language learning with those, who are planning to enter the University.

‍- The most eminent Russian snowboarder is currently studying Russian at Saint Petersburg State University. Viс, why did you choose namely SPbU? 
- I love Saint Petersburg, and I would like to live in this city. When I came here, I found out about Saint Petersburg State University and Russian language courses for foreigners there. I searched the information online, considered it and then decided that it was the best language school in the city.

- Have you managed to get used to the weather in St. Petersburg? Do you have any favorite places in the city?
- I enjoy living in St. Petersburg. The only thing I do not like is damp and cloudy weather in winter. For that reason, I prefer spending wintertime in the mountains. However, summer is very beautiful here. I love strolling around Petrograd Side. I enjoy visiting Krestovsky Island and walking in Central Park; they are stunning places. Overall, Saint Petersburg is rich with beautiful sightseeing!

- There is an opinion that sports and language learning have much in common. It is not only about consistency and gradual workload increase but also about achieving a high-quality result through persistent and regular efforts. Does the sporty character help you in learning the Russian language?
-Yes, there are some similarities, but for me, sports are natural. The university is a new area where it can be quite challenging. I must study everyday; it is a gradual process, and things do not progress as quickly as I would like. It is not easy for me. I try to practice more, speak with people everyday, but I feel that I will need much more time to achieve the desired result. Maybe another year or two. When I set a goal, I can return to a given task and work on it daily, and then there will definitely be results. I look forward to succeeding.

- Do you like the atmosphere during your classes? Have you made any friends at the University?
- Yes, I enjoy the structure of the classes, teaching methods and my teachers. Recently, I made a friend from China who I communicate with. Learning Russian is not easy for him either, although he understands grammar well. However, speaking is more challenging for my friend.

- Any language is a part of culture and people's worldview. Have Russia and Russian traditions become closer and more understandable to you?
- Yes, that is true. I currently understand the culture better and have become more attuned to its people. I can grasp their emotions, the origin of these emotions, why people behave in certain ways. I have improved my ability to understand the situations; communication has been more enjoyable and interesting for me.

- What advice would you give to students who want to study the Russian language at SPbU?
- You should prepare that the process is slower than you expect. I thought I would be able to speak well in a year, but in fact, it is two or three times harder than I expected. Do not expect quick results; it requires significant and daily efforts. Continuous learning process is crucial. Even a small pause in the process makes language learning more difficult, and things can easily be forgotten. I also try to read more in Russian. Sometimes it is challenging to find books that I can read without translation. Recently, I enjoyed reading works by Lermontov. Generally, the most challenging aspects of the Russian language are grammar and reading. Nevertheless, if you set a goal and work hard everyday, you will definitely succeed!